Create backup Money files automatically
Money can be set to create backup Money files automatically. Since backup files can be large, Money automatically deletes older backup files and keeps only the latest backups.
To set up automatic backups:
- On the Tools menu, click Settings, and then click Backup settings.
- Choose whether you want to back up every time you close Money, or at scheduled intervals.
- To change where your backup files are saved, click Browse, and then select a file location.
- Click OK.
- If you are using Windows Vista, there are some directories on your hard disk that are restricted-that is, you cannot save files to those locations. When you select a folder to store your backup file in, be sure to select a location that is not restricted, such as your Documents folder.
- By default, Money keeps only the three most recent backup files you’ve created, but in the Backup Settings dialog box, you can change this to any number between 1 and 99. When the number of backup files exceeds the number you set, Money will move your oldest backup file to the Recycle Bin.
- Just in case something happens to your computer’s hard disk, it’s a good idea to periodically save backup files to a CD, DVD, or a floppy disk.
- For automatically created backup files, the file name will consist of the date and time that the backup was created. For example, the file_2006-03-07_080611.mbf was created on March 7, 2006, at 08:06:11 A.M.