Record an investment purchase, sale, or other transaction in the Portfolio Manager
If you don’t use online updates for an investment account, you can type in your investment transactions. You don’t need to record all the details of each transaction; you can simply track how many shares you have.
To record an investment transaction:
- Go to the Portfolio Manager.
- Do one of the following:
- To change how many shares of an investment you own, without keeping track of prices, purchase dates, or other transaction details: In the left pane under Common tasks, click Work with investments, and then click Update your shares.
- To add transaction information for a new investment: In the left pane under Common tasks, click Work with investments, and then click Set up a new investment. Follow the instructions on the screen.
- To add a transaction for an investment that’s already in your portfolio: Click the investment name, click New, and then enter the information.
- If you don’t see your investments listed in the Portfolio Manager, click the plus sign (+) next to an account name.
- If you have the same investment in different accounts, double-check the Account field each time you enter a transaction to make sure the transaction is being entered in the right account.
- To edit a transaction you’ve already entered, click the investment name, and then double-click the transaction.
Enter capital gains, dividends, or interest income in the Portfolio Manager
Track employer contributions to a retirement account